The Media Minute was created to provide an opportunity for anyone who wishes to discuss media in a broad or detailed manner, with respect to differing opinions or interpretations. Please feel free to submit your thoughts and ideas.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Favorite Crime TV Show Of All Time

The last twenty years has seen a resurgence of the Crime series on television. Everyone has their favorite show or series. In the 80's, Magnum, PI was it for me. Maybe more a comedy than drama, it presented a great balance of storyline and one-liners, along with the running battle between characters Magnum and Higgins.

Over the years we've embraced Dragnet, Hill City Blues, NYPD Blue, the CSI series, Monk, a little series entitled Law & Order, and countless others. What is it that keeps us coming back for more? The characters themselves, the bad guys "getting theirs" in the end, the story, or something else? What is your favorite?

3 comments:

  1. Does Dexter count? Because it should! - Angela Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to like C.S.I. (original and Miami), but those shows have turned into weekly soap operas set in crime labs. Laurence Fishburne brought C.S.I. Vegas back to life, but the bad writing has even hampered an actor of his caliber.

    Stretching the category a little bit, my favorite of the last five years was The Shield on FX. Going back a little farther, Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren, which proved that the Brits kick our butts as far as good police shows go.

    There was a bizarre and short-lived show on CBS called Martial Law, with Chinese kick-boxing star Sammo Hung and (of all people) Arsenio Hall. Sort of a marriage of American cop show with Bruce Lee movie. Weird.

    Going back to childhood and stretching the category even more, my faves were Secret Agent and The Avengers (more British imports). I've been watching those again on DVD.

    I did love Hill Street Blues in the 70s, and Monk was good for a season but ultimately wore thin. I like some of the other shows you mention. You forgot Starsky & Hutch and Cagney & Lacey, two faves from way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forgot about Dexter. How could I, it's my favorite show!

    ReplyDelete